ladies class comments

To: "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: ladies class comments
From: Tim Aro <timaro@hsc.vcu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:34:42 -0400
Rarely do I post commentary but I feel the ladies class issue stirs up
some interesting perspectives.  It appears to me that there are those
who feel ladies classes don’t belong.  Is it because of jealousy or
envy?  I for one would love to win a National Championship, but have not
been successful in doing so.  Sure, when I see someone several seconds
slower in a similar car winning a National Championship, it could be
bothersome.  However, what does another person’s accomplishments in a
totally separate class have to do with you or me?  Does it make one a
lesser driver, a slower driver, a less accomplished driver?  No, I don’t
believe it does.  Why let the decisions of others (to compete in ladies)
bother you?  Why not focus on your own goals, compete against those you
wish to compete against, and stop slamming those that enjoy competing in
a different class?   I’m sure those ladies wishing to compete against
“open” competition do so because they feel that it may be more
meaningful since both genders are represented.  But please don’t take
away the pride associated with winning a ladies championship.  Those
ladies who have won championships know how they rate relative to the
best in the business,…there are not delusional.   Some of the ladies who
choose to run in ladies know they are right there with the open class,
and others know they have work to do.   My suggestion, for what it’s
worth, is to enjoy the sport for the competition; YOUR competition, and
let the others play where they so choose, and give them credit for being
there, playing the game.

Tim Aro