Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?

To: johnlee@softdisk.com
Subject: Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?
From: jon e prevo <tcbracer@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:23:05 -0500
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:39:34 -0500 John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
writes:
> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here (without flames, please, since
> think this is a legitimate question)

Yeah, John, that seems to be a real difficulty these days!

>but, as I understand it,
> positive
> offset means moving the tires/wheels farther out from the side of
> the
> car.

Okay, that is where you are outdated ;-)  Positive or "high" offset
refers to a wheel which positions the majority of the tire tread to the
inside of the wheel hub.  Don't ask me why, I have taken to referring to
wheels by backspace numbers exclusively to keep from confusing myself.
If I want to subtract offset numbers (moving from front-wheel-drive style
toward rear-wheel-drive style) I also subtract backspace numbers.  So,
you see, when you move the tire farther out from the hub, you are
lessening the backspace and the offset at the same time.

>That should be achieved by a SMALLER backspace on the rims.  To
> my way of thinking, a 5-inch backspace on an 8-inch rim would hardly
> produce much of a positive offset.  Am I missing something here?!?!?

Refer to above.  As you will notice, a wheel with a 5 inch backspace is 1
inch positive (offset is the measurement of the hub's difference from
neutral).  That is pretty hugely positive if you are talking about a
rear-wheel-drive application, but also pretty hugely negative if you are
discussing front-wheel-drive.

> 8<{)
>
> The 6-inch rims that I'm running on my Mini right now have a
> 2-1/2-inch backspace.  That's about as far out as I dare to push
> them
> with ball bearing wheel bearings.  Once I replace the front brakes
> with Metro Turbo disks and install stronger Timken roller bearings
> in
> the hubs, then I plan to order new wheels with a 2-inch or even
> 1-3/4-inch back space so, maybe, I can start running cantilever
> slicks.

Your reasoning is very sound and of course I know nothing of Mini
engineering but...why not stay with the 2 1/2 inch backspace and just
move up to a 7 inch wheel?

The problem with technology is that when you finally get a good handle on
it, it changes, and with it all the terminology...;-)  I grew up with 60s
and 70s technology.  You grew up with...oh, never mind.  I bet you even
remember when magnesium wheels were the best, lightest, most expensive
trick equipment?  I know you have the sense of humor to enjoy that, but
for everyone else out there, I am ribbing John about his venerability in
a friendly, good natured way.  No flames please.

Jon FP 73
TCB Racing Datsun 260Z
TLS #73