Friday banquet bailing, etc...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Friday banquet bailing, etc...
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:25:30 EDT
Interesting that the discussion regarding the banquet has focused
on those who departed before the end, for whatever reasons.

It was readily apparent to me early on that the banquet was quite
sparsely populated compared to the expectations of the caterer.
It is not my style to stand on a soapbox and preach about world
hunger, but such waste as occurred last Friday is just plain wrong.

I have to assume that there was communication between the
registration officials and the caterer regarding the number of tickets
disbursed for each banquet.  While there are certainly valid reasons
why someone's plans to attend might get derailed, the obviously
large number of uneaten salads at empty tables indicated that way
more people had taken tickets than had ever intended to actually be
there.  Deplorable behavior.  Senseless waste.

I hope the caterer has a charitable outlet for occasions when in effect
clients order food, ask us all to help pay for it, and then don't show to
eat it.

The Wednesday banquet/awards ceremony has always been stuffed
to overflowing.  The Friday one is traditionally smaller.  Makes sense.
If some vacate after the food, or following some special recipient's
moment on the stage, that's their decision.  Personally, I think of all
the Topeka attendees as my friends, and all the trophy winners as
deserving of my applause in recognition of their accomplishment.
So I stay.  Those that don't feel that way....   hey, I do understand.

But for the large number of persons who took Friday tickets with no
real intent to be there....  Sorry, beyond my comprehension.

Alan Sheidler