Re: BSM/SM2

To: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>
Subject: Re: BSM/SM2
From: mikelowe@pop.pointecom.net
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:01:45 +0000
> From:          Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>

> Miatae can get a 225 on the rears but only a 205 on the front before rubbing
> sets in - on the inside.  The 205's fill out the fender wells quite nicely
> on my '90 and I've noticed the very slightest of rub on my front anti-sway
> bar under extreme conditions but is of no consequence.

     It all depends on how low the car is and the construction of
the tire.  My turbo Miata has moderately low Flyin' Miata springs
from Dealer Alternative (the crack pusher that sold me most of the
car's stuff).  The car has 215-45-15 Toyo T1-Ss all around.  They
clear just fine in the rear and _barely_ rubbed the front fenderwells
when the suspension was compressed and the tires were full tread
depth.  I haven't heard rubbing for months.  Pics are available at
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=869586 in the "94 Miata
Turbo" album.
     As long as offsets are reasonable, a Miata with near-stock
height might even be able to use a 225 street tire up front.  It
would depend on whether it was a "fat" 225 or a "skinny" one.  We all
know how tire widh varies across makes/models.
     I used to use 225-50-14 BFG R1s as the autox tires on my B Stock
96 Miata R.  It's high as a 4 x 4 but there was a little rubbing on
the suspension at full lock.  The only time I get full lock at an
autox is puttering around in the paddock.
     Just for grins, I once placed my dad's Z28 tires next to my
Miata.  They were 245-??-16 R1s.  The width wasn't too bad but they
were too tall to fit in the fenderwell.   :-)

My datapoints.  YMMV.

Mike Lowe    mikelowe@pointecom.net    http://www.pointecom.net/~mikelowe
'96 Miata R (Go go gerbil power!)
'94 Miata FM2 Turbo (Gerbils on crack!)