Proposed Reclassification

To: rallysolo@compuserve.com
Subject: Proposed Reclassification
From: Mark Darby <markds33@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
Dear SCAC and SEB,

 With the conclusion of the Pro Solo and the National
Championships,I have reviewed the results and their
implications with regards to the proposed
reclassifications.

 I am primarily concerned with the placement of the
NEON in class 5.

 As I reviewed the results. I used two different
systems to compare times of the NEON vs. its proposed
classmates. The first was simply a comparison of raw
times and the second system merges the top three
trophy positions of the NEONS with their proposed
classmates. Also, since I am proposing that the NEON
be placed in class 8, I have included E Stock times.

 The Pro Solo Finale raw time results were as follows:
D Stock          G Stock             E Stock
1-63.143         1-62.437            1-63.388
2-63.487         2-62.793            2-63.393
3-63.523         3-62.984            3-63.868

 The time differential between the G Stock class
winner and the D Stock class winner was .706 of a
seccond. The differential of D Stock vs. E Stock was
.245 of a second. To emphasize the severity of this
differential, the SS class winning time vs. the A
Stock class winning time was .230 of a second.  Super
Stock and A Stock become three classes, under the
proposed reclassification, with only a .230 second
differential!

The results from the National Championships were as
follows:

D Stock             G Stock            E Stock
1 - 113.565         1 - 112.948        1 - 113.551
2 - 114.021         2 - 113.381        2 - 113.762
3 - 114.201         3 - 113.505        3 - 114.142

The time differential between the winner in G Stock
vs. the winner in D Stock was .617 of a second.  To
back up my theory that the Neon should be in Class 8,
please note that E Stock beat D Stock (not the first
time we have seen this) by .014 of a second!

Another way to look at these results is to visualize
that the reclassification has already taken place and
merge th results of the classes.

In the Pro Finale if you merge the times of G Stock
and D Stock you get the G Stock cars in the top 4
spots and the fastest Neon in 5th place!  Now if you
merge the times of D Stock vs. E Stock, you get D
Stock in first, E Stock in 2nd and 3rd and then D
Stock in 4th.  The results of the merge between the D
Stock and E Stock times would appear to be the proper
grouping.

If you merge the class results from the National
Championships you end up with G Stock cars in 1st
through 3rd, D Stock in 4th, then G Stock in 5th and
6th.  By contrast if you merge D Stock vs. E Stock you
get an E Stock car in 1st, D Stock in 2nd, E Stock in
3rd, D Stock in 4th, E Stock in 5th and D Stock in
6th.

Again, the results of merging D Stock and E Stock
times would appear to be the proper grouping.

Hopefully, the SCAC is viewing the proposed
classifications as a "work in progress" and not take
the headstrong posture of "that's the way we wrote it,
so it shall be!"  We tweak our cars, lets tweak this
proposal!
Thank You,
Mark"Rainman"Darby
#3 DS