Re: Oil

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 16:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
Castrol Syntec users might be interested to know that Syntec is refined
from crude oil!  It uses what is called a Group III hydroprocessed
basestock...aka 'dino juice'!  (Group IV is polyalphaolefins and Group
V esters, which are the components of Mobil 1, Redline, and other
synthetics).  Castrol can get away with this because there is no
generally agreed definition of 'synthetic' in the lubricants industry.
Mobil tried to complain to the BBB about Castrol and lost recently.
The details are at <http://www.caru.org/nad99/0401.asp>.

This does NOT necessarily mean that Syntec is inferior in any practical
way to Group IV-V synthetics, just that it is different.  I looked at
the whole conventional vs. synthetic issue several months ago and
switched from synthetic back to conventional oil...but I make sure I
get a brand that uses a good Group II hydrocracked basestock.  I use
Pennzoil at the moment because it's cheap at Wal Mart (this is FAR
different from the crap they made in years past, produced in a Conoco
joint venture refinery in Lake Charles, Louisiana).  I'll probably
switch to Chevron Supreme because they are the leaders in motor oil
refining (most of the big boys license their process from Chevron).

I do not believe that I am sacrificing any engine protection in this
way, outdated 10 year old FAQs notwithstanding.  Plus, the Pennzoil
seems to have cured the lifter clatter problem my Miata always suffered
at the track with Mobil 1!  (probably sludged up the lifters enough to
shut 'em up :)

Craig Blome

PS wondering what all this gobbledygook is?  check out the excellent
reference library at <http://www.lubrizol.com>

http://invites.yahoo.com/