RE: Firestone SUV Tires Major Failures

To: "Bill Ozinga" <oz@tirerack.com>,
Subject: RE: Firestone SUV Tires Major Failures
From: "Jeff Lloyd" <Jeff@cyberconceptz.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:14:18 -0400
Der Webmeister Bill O sez:
What's your source for those numbers?
MSNBC News
USA Today says...

> NHTSA says it has reports of 21 deaths and 193 crashes involving those
tires.

While I don't want to say there isn't a problem with the tires, I wonder how
many of those incidents are due to underinflation, which seems to the main
cause of "just blew with no warning." On top of that, add in the possibility
that the Ford Explorer could be a bit on the tippy side, you have a recipe
for a problem. (Add in my pet peeve - how many were on the phone at the
time?)

How often do you think people *really* check their tire pressure?

Ford did issue a tech bulletin when the Explorers first came out telling
dealers and tire dealers not to put any tires other than light truck
all-terrain style tires on them, as the vehicle wasn't designed to handle
any increase in cornering power. Any connection?

I wonder how many problems the same tires have been involved in on the more
stable Subaru Forester?

I don't know but I do however know in all markets (sans US) Ford is
replacing the tires
Jeff