Class for PT Cruiser?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Class for PT Cruiser?
From: "Darren P. Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:54:12 -0700
Got to test drive one this weekend.

Just checked the online FastTrack and didn't see anything about it.  Has it
been classed yet, or is it in the works?  Andy??? :)

My opinion... DS for now, ES next year if you want to be extra
conservative.  Might as well just set it in ES now and have done with
it.  It's heavy but the torque is _really_ nice.  Has a little extra
rim/tire but I don't think anything bigger than a 225 would fit
anyway.  Gearing felt a little taller than my brothers 95 Neon, but no
brochures to check it out and the salesdrone barely knew what it was I was
asking for (Me: "How are the gear ratios?" Drone: "it's a 5-speed, yes" Me:
"No, what are the gear ratios, what is the final drive?" Drone: "Um, it
says here it has a transaxle").  4 wheel disk is supposedly available but
we weren't sure if that meant you had to get the heavy package or if you
just had to order ABS.  The one I drove had rear wheel drums, yuck.

He said the "Limited Edition" had "major suspension upgrades" but I can't
think it will be that different to justify the lead weight options they add
on with it.  But it does come with 16s, but I'm not sure they're any
wider.  He also said more models will be available shortly.  From their
web-site it looks like the only one we would be interested in is the
"Touring Package" which includes the 16s and "Touring Suspension" along
with foglights and badges, yay.

All in all, probably won't "work" as well as a Neon but it would make an
awesome street car.  The guy didn't give me a chance to really push it (but
he was able to tell me how many cupholders it had) but it felt
nice.  Driving an Integra and a Dakota Club Cab, you forget what it's like
to have room in the back seats.  A kart would almost fit in the back of it
too. :)

        --D