RE: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)
From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:51:04 -0500
> > As for being easy to check and enforce, who furnishes the equipment, who
> > calibrates it, and what's your measurement tolerance?  Anyone here
> recall
> > the thread on measuring the 1/2" track increase allowance??
>
> Camber gages are not that expensive, and the nat office could have one for
> checking at the NT's and Pro's.  Using a delta measure unit, calibration
> isn't an issue.  .  Heck, we have scales, why is this different?.  If a
> car
> is found to be out of spec, the looser could defend using another gauge,
> like their own maybe.  In any event, it's not that much different than
> measuring spring perch heights and the such that is done now.
> ---JCG
        [Moore, John]  Are you proposing that every Stock class car have
it's alignment checked at impound? Yes we have scales in impound, but how
many cars have a minimum weight requirement? It is already hard enough to
get 300 cars through in a day (although kudos go to the Kentucky region for
getting everyone through so quickly at Peru). Checking alignment would
require getting each car on the setup platform, settling the chassis and
checking the spec. And even then, the first car through the line will have
heat still in the tires and hence more pressure and this will affect camber,
albiet by small amounts, over those that are checked last. Additionally, my
experience with alignment machines and guages has indicated that they are
all a bit off from each other. And we certainly could not just get along
with the hand held bubble guage type of camber guage since it's accuracy is
limited. A full 4 wheel alignment rack with levelers would be required to
make sure that the car is level before checking the camber. And even then,
without someone who knows exactly how to setup each car on the machine, we
cant be guaranteed accuracy. Scales on the other hand, simply require a
place to put them and some people to push the cars up the ramps. Even if the
scales are not level, the overall weight of the vehicle will not change,
unlike camber, where a small amount off level can change the measurement,
especially when using the bubble guage type.
                Just my 2 cents.

        John Moore
        1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R (STS)
        1993 Toyota MR2 NA (CS) with -3 degrees camber in front and -2 in
the rear and needing every bit of it!