Re: Higher entry fees/Participation/Elitism

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Higher entry fees/Participation/Elitism
From: The Narbys <narby@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:15:57 -0500

Kevin Stevens wrote:

> Gee, you really say "elitist" like that's an awful horrible thing.
> Competition for a National Championship is a pretty elitist concept in the
> first place, so you might as well get used to it.

Elitism based on how much money someone can afford to waste is pretty lame - I
should have been clearer. Elitism based on competitiveness is what racing is
all about...I have Divisional Championship trophies to prove it ;-) Elitism is
fine as long as you are one of the elite. In a grassroots amateur sport though,
there should be room for anyone who drives a beater to the event, scrapes the
entry fee out of the ash tray, and then drives fast and well. Our local events
would suck without several members who are both slow and relatively "low
budget" - they work their assess off!

> Now, to address your point, how about basing the cutoff on the criteria of
> having the initiative, motivation, and general enthusiasm to get one's ass
> registered for the event behind no more than 299 others?

Sounds good to me, but then I have never missed an event by registering late.

Doug