Re: Solo participation too high?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo participation too high?
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:50:29 -0500
>>One of the things about SOLO II which drew me
in is that it's affordable, even to college students.

I'll agree with this...on the regional level.<<

I'll agree with it right on up to the NT level.  I've done a NT without a
prayer of placing well.  Honestly, how many of the 300+ entries for Peru are
showing up because they think they can whip up?  Even the NT events are for
amatuers IMO.  I bet that at least 3/4 of the NT entries are there for the same
reason I was.  Because it's really really fun.  I met lots of great people, saw
hundreds of awesome cars, and the courses were huge and fantastic.

>>I'm not trying to promote elitism, but I think that if you can't afford an
extra $20 to do an NT, that maybe you aren't ready for an NT.<<

I can understand the point, but what concerns me is the motive for charging an
extra $20 for entry.  If it's simply to bring down participation levels a bit
as somebody suggested, well that's a very bad thing.

-Brad