RE:why the harrisburg pro took less time

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:why the harrisburg pro took less time
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:54:37 -0400
 Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com wrote:

> Here is the caveat though....there was a significant amount of time saved
> because most people had themselves staged in 20 seconds.

I was the starter on Sat AM, shift B, and had the pre-stage light been
there (a photocell died, and there was no replacement) we could have been
sending them off even sooner.

Practice starts (where the pre-stage lights were working) went even
quicker, as the stage technique appears to be drive into the pre-stage
light, then creep into the stage light, rather than the drive into the
stage light, reverse out, then creep back in technique that having no
pre-stage light requires.

I say ditch the shot clock alltogether, and make the start procedure more
like drag racing, where the lights can drop any time after both stage
lights are lit.

DG