C & C repackaged as height discrimination

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: C & C repackaged as height discrimination
From: Mari L Clements <mrndr2@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:59:50 -0400
What about those dashes that come up too high and obscure my vision?
Can't I remove all of that (o.k., I'll keep the gauges)?  What about
having to reach backwards for the gear shift in a Camarobird (yep, the
real reason I'm never going to FS/ESP/CP)?  Oh, wait.  I get to *choose*
the car I compete in?

I'm with Mark Sirota on this one.  The car is a package.  It has
strengths and weaknesses.  Besides, didn't we hash the BMW mirror to
death a year ago?  And woo hoo--I've found a thing about my car that is
better designed than a BMW *or* a Miata!  (My mirror just twists sideways
right out of Eric's way.  You don't honestly think the mirror or the Tire
Rack banner or the old ProSolo banner came anywhere near MY field of
vision?)

[Warning--heavy sarcasm mode on.] While we're on C&C, don't you think
that it is more comfortable and convenient for me not to be replacing
endlinks every few events?  It's not like I'd go faster if I'd weld on a
big ole triangular bracket from the swaybar to some new mounting point,
I'd reduce the stress on that one area and make the endlinks/mounting
points bend/break/rip out less...  And the '93-'95 MR2s have MUCH shorter
shift knobs than '91-'92--the travel from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is
way shorter for them?  Isn't that just convenience, too?  [Sarcasm off.]

I *really* think that C&C should be invoked for *only* things that do
*not* affect one's performance while driving.  I think both of my MR2
examples (if the car's sitting broken in grid, I won't be turning in very
fast times and if I make faster shifts, that is a good thing) *would*
affect my performance, and should not fall under C&C.  They are
weaknesses in the car, unquestionably, but the car belongs in CS based on
the whole package of what it is.  I also think that visors or mirrors
that could obstruct your vision may also affect performance, but that
they are part of the car's package.  And don't give me a safety
rationale--you ever tried to drive an MR2 safely with a ripped out
swaybar link?  They *aren't* known for easy handling--particularly in
that configuration!

mlc
'91 MR2 NA
-----anything after this, I didn't write, and don't necessarily agree