Re: SCCA Spokesperson...... :-)

To: Jeff@cyberconceptz.com, oblique@alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: SCCA Spokesperson...... :-)
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 08:40:28 EDT
Jeff,

A couple of years ago, I attended the press conference that Hoosier held in
Las Vegas as a representative for North American Pylon. This was just prior
to the release of the line of Street Hoosiers you are refering to in your
post.

They stated at that presentation that they didn't have enough capacity in
their own plants to build all the race tires they do "AND" a volume line of
street tires as well.  Hoosier presented blue prints, specs and compounding
information to Kelly-Springfield. Kelly agreed to build the Hoosier street
tires to that set of specs under Hoosier supervision. So it can be said that
those tires are Hoosiers, just subcontracted to a plant with excess
capacity.

And before you jump to conclusions, I am fully aware of private labeling and
how those programs work in many instances. You are correct that in sometimes
only the wrapper is significantly different.

I am sure that in this case the engineers at Hoosier had to make allowances
in their design so that the tire could be built on the Kelly-Springfield
equipment, almost every production line is optimized to work in a certain
way. That said, I have been involved in several private label deals where
the materials that went into the private label product were significantly
different than the stuff that went into the "name brand" normally produced
at that factory.

Maybe a test of Hoosier versus Kelly-Springfield's are in order.

Larry Steckel