Re: M3's in ESP - Mid Season Opinion

To: "Pat Griffith" <griffser@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: M3's in ESP - Mid Season Opinion
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:21:21 -0700
> - How would Bob Tunnell had fared the last couple years running ESP at
> Nationals?  (I already know the answer. ;)

Take his times and reduce them 1-2% (he's running that much better
due to his new setup which I believe mainly is getting rid of the BFGs
and switching to Hoosiers) and then see how he would have done in
CSP.

> - Sort of along the lines of what Andy B. said about poorly setup SP cars,
> how well would the top F Stock cars/drivers have fared if they ran ESP the
> past couple years at Nationals?  (I already know the answer to that one, too.)

The same can be said about many stock cars, except that the ponycar
is one of the few that has a class it can win in stock and street
prepared. You just can't do that much in SP that a great driver can't
almost cancel out.

> - Aren't most of the pony ESP cars NOT prepped to the limit of the rules
> yet?

Aren't most of any classes' cars not prepped to the limit fo the rules?

 >I'm talking full HP and suspsension goodies, which is
> what I think Bob has on his M3 (well, he may not have everything, but he's
> tested enough to know that sometimes OE stuff works best).

Bob's car wasn't prepped to the limits before the SEB moved the car.
He's doing much better this year with the Hoosiers than he did last year
with the BFGs.

> - And how well are "the other" M3 drivers doing in ESP?

Eguina was neck and neck with Ames (driving his/their car) and
Madaresh (.3 tenths on a 2 minute scale separating the three drivers). A
week later he got pasted again by Tunnell.

If you take Equina's PAXed time at the San Bernardino ProSolo, San
Deigo National Tour and Lemoore ProSolo, and compare it to the lowest
PAXed time of anyone without the last name of Tunnell, you get a ratio
of 98.1%, 98.7% and 98.3%. Even if you take his best percentage
results (98.7% of top non-Tunnell driver at San Deigo), take the relative
percentage difference between his, Ames and Madaresh scores at Ft
Worth 132.351, 132.385 and 132.125 and Eguina vs Tunnell at San
Deigo (112.168, 110.519), you can project that if Ames and Madaresh
were also driving at San Diego the results would have been

Bob Tunnell 110.519
Mark Maderesh 111.977
Steve Eguina 112.168
John Ames 112.197

> Marcus Meredith's car has pretty much everything from what I gather,
> but what about Schotz' ex,

Look at the thread I posted about weight in ponycars. The other details
on his car are in the next paragraph (and at
http://PonyCar.Net/ESP/Shotz_WS6.htm). I suppose he could have
done more in the power, but at 328HP,370 Torque corrected at the rear
wheels, I can't see where more would be useful.

 Hi Jeff, I don't mind posting my mods at all.  First, lets start with
the Engine... I ran stock exhaust manifolds, and stock throttle body, and
intake.  I did have aftermarket Air Lid, and K&N filter.  I ran a 180
thermostat, MSD Wires w/ NGK plugs.  I used CCW 17X11 wheels, with
315/35/17 Kumho tires around all 4 corners.  I used The Factory 1LE
Koni Double Adjustable shocks, with Global West's Coil overs on the
Front, and Global West Springs in the rear.  I used (at different events)
the Global West Trac-Link, and the Herb Adams TQ arms.  I used the
Factory sway bars, with Custom Heim Joint end links on the front bar,
with Poly Bushings, no changes to the rear bar, or bushings.  Control
Arm bushings stayed original in the Rear, and the front Lower Control
Arms.  The Front upper control arms were offset to help gain camber
(but ended up costing me caster, don't think I would do that again.)
McLeod Aluminum Flywheel, with Smaller Diameter Clutch and
Pressureplate.  Sparco Evo 2 Race Seat, Torsen Race Unit
Limited Slip, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, Porterfield Brake Pads, front
Stainless Steel Lines, Wilwood Proportioning valve to decrease rear
brake.  MAC Off - Road Y-Pipe (no cats) into 3" DynoMax Race
Magnum Muffler.  Factory 3.42 Gears.