Uh oh, M3s in ESP... again! (was: Re: more peru musings)

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Uh oh, M3s in ESP... again! (was: Re: more peru musings)
From: Ron Katona <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:07:44 -0400
Steven Eguina wrote:
> At the Lemoore Pro-Solo we weighted my car 3415# w/o driver. the 400lb
> difference between my 96 Camaro and Bob's BMW was all on the Two front
> wheels of the Camaro with a full fuel load and the battery at the rear.

It's closer to 500 lb, but who's counting.

> The BMW's just have great handling.  It's becoming very obvious that as a
> minimum the M-3's should be moved to BSP.

Not to me. The car isn't competitive in CSP. Why would it be a better
match in BSP where it would have 100 hp deficits? And doesn't a stock
'96 Camaro weigh in at 3400 lb? Aren't you competing in E _Street
Prepared_? Haven't you lightened your car to the limits of the SP rules?

As far as the handling, again, this is street prepared, not stock.
Coil-overs, camber aids, big wheels and tires, and adjustable sway bars
don't work as well on a Camaro as an M3? Yes, I understand it's better
balanced than F-bodies, but that's why you get to choose your spring
rates, shock valving, and and alignment settings in SP. Maybe setting
the car up properly and driving it very well is Bob's real advantage?

 Marcus has put together a fairly
> good analysis of the BMW's prior performance and sent it with a letter to
> the SEB and Howard Ducan.  By the time Nationals are over the decision
> should be an easy one.   Thanks for the observation.  Steve Eguina #86 ESP

Great. I'd love to see that. I just hope that it includes several top M3
drivers and not just Tunnell. And I hope the competition's cars were as
well prepared as Bob's so the data are meaningful. And if Bob wins the
nationals (not a sure thing at all), would that prove the CAR should be
moved? How are all the other M3 drivers doing?
--
Ron Katona