RE: Worcester Telegram & Gazette

To: "'Melissa Blankenship'" <melissab@aocs.org>,
Subject: RE: Worcester Telegram & Gazette
From: Jeffrey Blankenship <jblanken@amdocs.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:17:41 -0500
Hmmm, since it appears my post might be misunderstood, I thought I'd
try to clarify a bit.

I'm not entirely sure which part of the Gearan column Katie was
sympathetic with, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the whole thing.
Katie just likes to stir the pot a bit, bringing out opinions
from the .net, and I presumed that's what her post was intended
to do.  Nothing wrong with that, its good fun.

If I offended anyone, nobody wrote me saying so except my wife,
but since she'll say things to me which others wouldn't (for better
or worse), I have to imagine others might take it the same way.

Therefore I have to say for the record that I do not think Katie
is nuts (just refreshingly off kilter), she did not make a poor
choice of automobiles or sports, not everyone who has a Buick
is a corpse, and New Mexicans are not self-destructive maniacs (my
dad lives near Albuquerque).

Still trying to get a laugh; do I have to change my middle initial
to "A" when I write like that?   (Oh no, I'll have to explain that
one to my wife, too...)
 8^P
---
Jeffrey A. Blankenship                     Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@amdocs.com                        Amdocs - ITDS - TRIS+
neon enthusiast #478                       Champaign, IL, USA

Did you even read this first?

>> http://www.telegram.com/sports/gearan3.html

> Who the hell is lucy?

That's the name Katie gave to her Miata.

> And someone who's snapped an axle and totaled his car is in no
> position to be flaming some woman about what car she chooses to
> drive.

If you approached any autocrosser's choice of car from the
perspective of Gearan's column, you'd realize I'm not flaming
her choice of car, I'm just pointing out how it would be
hypocritical to own a sports car and be against motorsports.

> No wonder so many women
> generally despise racing. Putting "all in fun; just kidding"
> at the end is
> even more insulting because it's obviously insincere.

I think you need to take more time reading what everybody
wrote.  The nearly universal opinion is that Gearan is a horse's
@ss for writing what he did, and I was playing along as if I
were someone who thinks like him.  So if I came off as an @ss,
then thank you, I was successful.  IN CASE YOU DIDN'T GET IT,
IT _WAS_ ALL IN FUN!