Re: F125 - It's not just about safety

To: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Subject: Re: F125 - It's not just about safety
From: "Rich" <mudfly@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 17:15:51 -0400
Stupid assumption??  I  might as well have one, there seems to be enough to
go around ;)
  First of all because you are against having karts in Solo doesn't make you
"antikart" in my mind. You have to make that leap on your own.
Misuse of statistics?  1 incident in 4 years was the data presented. ? 500
wasn't my best or worst estimate it was an example. Do you have the data for
how many runs have been made in karts? do you have data for how many cones
have been hit by karts? what is considered low participation? I don't have
that information so all I could present is my opinion.
 The whole safety issue is based on  a succession of "what if's"  Everyone
wants a guarantee that nothing is going to happen, you can't make that
guarantee about karts or cars or anything else. I sign the exact same
parental release at an autocross that I do at a kart track.
  If you don't have karts in your region that is fine with me regardless of
the reason. SCCA has left that up to you and your region.(warning! I going
to assume) I'm guessing the National Tour and the championship is suppose to
be representive of all the regions including those that choose to allow
karts.
  To me it is much more valid to just say "I don't like karts in solo" that
it is to create these scenario's of doom based on one incident.
  The positive aspect of this discussion is that it will motivate me(and
hopefully the other karters) to prove to you and the rest of the autocross
community that karts & kart racers can be a asset to autocross and SCCA.

Rick