Re: Weight Transfer Question

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Weight Transfer Question
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:35:01 -0800 (PST)
--- dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> That was my first and only flat to date too. I'm
> left with the impression
> that flats really aren't that big a deal,
> controlabillity-wise.

Never had a blowout so I haven't got experimental
data, :) but controllability in a front tire blowout
will be affected by the suspension's scrub radius and
kingpin inclination.  Most cars have a slightly
negative scrub radius, which will steer away from the
direction of the blowout, producing a somewhat
self-correcting action.
VW made a big deal out of this "negative steering roll
radius" with the Rabbit and Dasher in the '70s, as if
they'd invented the idea or something...

Craig Blome