MR2-s vs. Miata in Automobile Mag & SF Car Show

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: MR2-s vs. Miata in Automobile Mag & SF Car Show
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:05:13 -0800 (PST)
Well, just got my copy of Automobile magazine and their cover story is
the new MR2-s heads up against the Miata.  Haven't had a chance to read
the whole article yet, but they basically point out what we already know.

MR2-s has slightly better weight to power. They say 15.6 vs. 16.4 but that
looks to be based on japanese specs so who knows.
MR2-s has a lower redline, and peak torque is _way_ lower (4400 vs 5500)
MR2-s has slightly (probably unnoticable) shorter gearing.  Combined with
shorter redline, MR2-s might need third.  Need to compare "top speed in
gear" with 10th anniversary Miata.
MR2-s has significantly shorter steering (2.7 turns vs. 3.2), I hadn't
noticed that before... could be huge!
MR2-s is lighter (2150 vs. 2299).  Does that sound right, miata owners?
MR2-s has 6.3" longer wheelbase.  Still undecided if that will hurt or help.

Miata has more front tire (195 vs 185) but both on 6" rims so who knows
what race tires will fit.  MR2-s has same rear tire (205) but a wider rim
(6.5") but we couldn't really get a good enough look to see if anything
bigger than a 225 would fit (it didn't look like it would).

Miata has shorter turning circle (30.2ft vs. 32.0) probably due to the
above mentioned wheelbase.

Could be a typo, but it looks like the MR2-s has wider front track than
it's rear, and both wider than the Miata.

Both have front and rear bars but we couldn't get a look up inside to see
how big they are.

Items still needed to discover:
o Spring rates, and bar rates.
o Alignment adjustment possibilities (dbl wishbones vs. control arms)
o Gearing top speeds
o Packages (sport? stripper? etc)

There's also a side article about Mid-Engine vs. Front-Engine.  Basically
they say mid-engine will turn better.

And, at the SF Auto Show last weekend, we got to talk to a Toyota rep about
the new MR2-s they had sitting roped off on display.  He said he's expecting
it to come in late march early april and they're expecting all first batch
to be presold (so go make a deposit).  He's expecting 4 colors: Red, Black,
Yellow and something else (white?).  The one there was red and it just
didn't appeal to me at all.  I think it's a really ugly car, but maybe in
yellow it will look cool.

Looks like a perfect BS car... go buy one Randy!  I think I'll wait for the
S2000s to go down in price (and get proven, thanks Annie & Ron) :)

So, hypothetical questions for debate:

o Given identical cars, would you want shorter or longer wheelbase
o Same cars, would you want more or less track (that debate has been done
before)
o Would you want a tourqier motor that you may have to shift to third every
now and then, or a wind-up motor you'd almost never have to shift.

        --Darren "Mad Scientist" Madams