Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?

To: msirota@isc.upenn.edu, jenaro@mciworld.com
Subject: Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?
From: HAVOCDEAN@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 01:52:36 EST
Ok, my $0.02

        I believe a novice should start in stock class. The less you need to
think or worry about the better. To many of us ( myself included) get rapped
up in car set up and forget to look in the mirror and say that it was MY
fault that I had a bad day or event.

        As a McKamey instructor, we worked on the person and not the car with
very good results. I enjoyed showing a student a differant way of getting
around the course without touching the car. That way you can concentrate on
your driving and not what to change on the car.

        Fortunally, I had people like Andy Hollis, Jeff Fields, Roger
Johnson, John Ames and others teach me the ropes and it was all about
learning to walk the course to making your vehicle do what you wanted it to
do, without changing so much as tire pressure.

       I owe much of my good fortune to them and others for the good things
that have happened to me over the years of autoxing. Staying in stock class
taught me alot about car control and to work around the limitations of a
stock car. Once you have learned that, I think you will be better prepared
for the SP, P, and Mod classes.

Dean Sapp