Helmet update rule

To: Autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Helmet update rule
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:43:10 EST
Never really thought about it before, but the Solo (and Comp?) board
has erred in picking a date for requiring updated Snell ratings, IMHO.

As an owner of an SA 85 rated Simpson Voyager helmet, I can't use it
for autocross after the end of this year.  So I have to replace, and I agree
that a policy for upgrading safety equipment is a good idea..... except
that I can only get an SA 95.  The 2000 approved stuff will not be
available until September or October next year, according to the Snell
website.  (http://www.smf.org/)

The SCCA policy seems intended to allow drivers to use a helmet for 15 years.
And hey, with only a few hours of use each year, why not?  But in reality,
it is much less than that!  Everyone else effected like I am will be in the
same boat:  10 years Max.  Even those buying this time next year (getting
the new '00 stickers) will get only 14 years.

This policy needs to be changed to account for the timing of the release of
new designations.  I would propose that the replacement dates be 1/1/2001,
1/1/2006. 1/1/2011, etc.

No I am not one to quibble over money that must be spent, and which
can be amortized over the life of the unit.  But have you looked at the price
of a helmet lately?  I always want to buy a Really Good one for my Really
Good head (the only one I will ever have, anyway), and the entry fee has
surprised me.

End of Rant.

Any way to get this changed on short notice?

Alan Sheidler