Transverse engine i/h (was 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout)

To: "Kevin W. Hoff" <kevin.hoff@cirque-networks.com>
Subject: Transverse engine i/h (was 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout)
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:15:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Kevin W. Hoff wrote:

> I have wondered many times about the logic behind using cross-flow heads but
> running the exhaust out of the front.  It seems to me that the big loop of
> exhaust tubing around the engine _really_ heats things up.

Not unusually, at least, not on Hondas I've owned.  The header's right
behind the radiator cooling fans, so there's some benefit there (as long
as you're moving).  There's a heat shield above the exhaust pipe to
minimize radiating heat to the engine above.  It gets hot, but I think no
hotter than flipping it around.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing