Re: Focus Possibilities?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Focus Possibilities?
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:51:49 -0800 (PST)

--- Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have reports from some TAMSCC members that the
> standard Focus can't handle to save itself.  No word
> on the ZX3.

I had a chance to drive the pre-production models of
the Focus in August, and I have to disagree here.  The
base model Focus handled fairly well, but the motor
didn't have enough to really do much of anything.
The ZTS (130 hp) models were a much better car, thanks
to the extra zing of the Ztec powerplant.  The car was
suprisingly nimble, and seemed to me that it would be
a relatively good choice for a stock class car.
I had the car pretty much at the limits, and would
give it a thumbs up, but not for national competition.
 At least not right away.
It just needs more guts, and a better diff.  The Z-tec
helps in the guts dept., but not enough for me to go
out and buy one, although I thought about it for a
little while.  ;-)
Given the choice between an escort and the Focus, the
choice couldn't be clearer...Focus.  Given the choice
between the Focus and a civic?...well, I'd have to go
with the Focus, only because I'm a devoted VW fan and
can't bring myself to buy a Japanese Rabbit. :-)  But
that's just me.

I read somewhere that they were recalling a bunch of
Foci because of some electrical problems, and wondered
if it had anything to do with the "phantom
self-locking" problems we had with the pre-prod ones.
Anybody know about that?

Buddy.