Re: What do you think of Kumho tires?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What do you think of Kumho tires?
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:54:10 EDT
Rudy, and anyone who wants to listen;

I've been autocrossing since 1974, almost all in Stock and Street Prepared
classes, including 18 Nationals, and I've seen the evolution of tires from
the debate over whether radials were better than bias ply to the current
situation.

I've been a dedicated BFG user since '88.  The current G-Force situation (my
co-driver and I have been through 3 sets of 225/50-14s, at $666 per set) has
caused us to try Kumhos on his '92 MR-2.  Here are my observations, so far:

Kumhos have significantly better wear than BFGs, even though we're using a
tire that's 20mm narrower.

Kumhos are easier to drive to (and especially when you pass) the limit.  They
don't mind high slip angles, to the point where they seem to encourage you to
drive sideways.  This isn't fast, of course, but that's a driver discipline
thing.

We're faster (approx 1-1.5%) on the BFGs, but haven't maximized the front
camber for the smaller Kumhos, yet.  So far, the shortcoming of the Kumho
seems to be in the rear of the car, though, so more front camber may not be a
significant factor.

I'd say leave the tire alone, and bring us a 225/50-14!  Look at how many
cars in A, B, C, D, E, G, and H/Stocks use 14" wheels.  There is a
significant amount of business to be had RIGHT NOW with a 225/50-14.  Kumho
could always use BFG's method of making a wider tire, just put a ring in
between the two halves of the mold for the 205.

Charlie Davis

;