Re: ST rules clarification

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ST rules clarification
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:29:34 -0400
Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net> wrote:

> For those of you unknown to the neon underdrive pulley by unorthodox

Just a word to the wise about Unorthodox and their pulleys.

On the Talon/Eclipse, the crankshaft drive pulley is an integral part of the
harmonic dampener, unlike, say, a small block Chev V8 where the pulley bolts to
the dampener.

The Unorthodox pulley is a solid machined chunk of aluminum - no dampener. When
questioned about this on the DSM mailing list, the owner (?) of Unorthodox
claimed that the rubber thingy joining the inertia ring to the mounting flange
wasn't a dampener, it was an "accessory silencer" - despite the shop manual
clearly referring to it as a dampener.

There was a big online brouhaha, and some research done, and the bottom line was
that mounting an Unorthodox pulley meant running with no dampener (with all the
potential for engine damage that implies) and my sponsor (Buschur Racing,
www.buschurracing.com :) switched to a custom-made underdrive pulley/balancer
unit. Unorthodox still maintains that there's no problem.

Now this is specific to the Talon and so may not apply in your case, but it's
made me VERY suspicious of anything coming out of the Unorthodox shop. I'd throw
a hairy eyeball at the stock pulley and the Unorthodox pulley to make sure you
weren't dismounting a dampener at the same time.

If the pulley and dampener are separate units, you should be OK (underdrive
pulleys do work, and they're hardly rocket science to fabricate) - but given
this little bit of history, it'd be a good idea to check.

DG