Re: photography question

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: photography question
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:03:27 -0400
>I want to get some really REALLY close-up shots of autocross cars while
>they're on course.

Well, my idea doesn't involve a camera of the film variety but would be
effective...  Camcorders are relatively inexpensive these days, and come
with more powerful zooms than most 35mm cameras.  A 32x zoom is fairly
basic, and I've seen up to 72x on rather affordable models.  That would be
enough for you to zoom in on the driver's nosehairs from across the course.
:)  Plus there's the added advantage of having full motion video as opposed
to a still.  I plan on picking up a camcorder this summer, partly with this
purpose in mind.  What can I say, I like watching my own car. :)

So what if you still want stills?  A few years ago I picked up a Snappy for
my computer.  You plug it into your parallel port and plug your camcorder or
VCR into it.  Using their proprietary software, you can take a snapshot of
any video you feed into it.  Then my old camcorder was stolen, which I'm
still extremely unhappy about.  But I still have the Snappy, and plan to use
it once the camcorder's replaced.  There are many cards out these days that
can make both stills and full multimedia files from video.  You could turn
one of your hot runs into an MPEG and put it up on the web.

Sorry if this is completely unhelpful for your 35mm purposes. :)

    - Justin
      '83 BMW 320i DSP (snagged da Recaros!)
      Team SOL #4