Help! Car hikes rear inner leg on corners.

To: Autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Car hikes rear inner leg on corners.
From: DUELRACER@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 01:17:34 EDT
I am in need of assistance in a problem that I am experiencing with my H
Stock 200SX.  The car is a 1982 model and rear wheel drive.  My problem is
that when I go into a corner I am raising up the inner rear tire, thus losing
traction and grip.  If I try to throttle out of the corner, all I get is the
car jerking and shaking from trying to get traction.

What I have done to the car since last year is this.  I have replaced the
sway bar bushings, put new coil springs in the front and back.  I have Koni's
on front and back. The Koni's on the rear were a little shorter in stroke
than the normal Monroe shocks that were on the car.

My question is this.  Because the Koni's on back have a shorter stroke than
the originals, could it be that when I go into a corner that the shock
becomes fully extended and causes the wheel to lift off the ground.  I know
that I have to take the bottom bolt off of the shock to get the rear solid
axle to be able to move down enough for me to be able to move the coil
spring.  I have contacted my supplier for Koni's and the ones that I have are
all that is available.

Are Tokico's or KYB's just as good as the Koni's or better?  Does anyone know
if I can get them for my car.  Adjustable are not something that I would
need, since it would not be easy to reach for the rear's.  Could replacing
the sway bar on the rear help?  Is that feasible to replace the rear sway bar
in stock?

I run Hoosier 205/50/14 on the rear and Hoosier 225/55/14 on the front.  The
car turns great and has the power for the straights but when it comes down to
the corners I loose all speed and grip because of the rear inner tire coming
off the ground.  Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Paul Poore
Mach 51 Datsun 200SX in HS
Secretary for the Crown Autocross Club.