Re: Fieros -- love 'em or not

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fieros -- love 'em or not
From: Doug Chase <dougcha@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:19:12 -0700
Fiero stuff, eh?  I guess this is my cue...

Jamie Sculerati wrote:
<<<
And although Lotus designed the '88 chassis, IMO the *car* was still
overwieght, which is a mortal sin for sports cars, especially Loti (right
Phil, Karen?)

Actually, Lotus didn't design the '88 chassis.  This is an urban myth that
has been around for a few years and is finally being debunked by the Fiero
list.

As for being overweight, it's not THAT bad.  I weighed my (fairly well
loaded) '88 Formula at the Tour a year ago and it came in at 2690.  A
similarly loaded '93 MR2 NA T-Top was weighed at the same time and was with
about 10 lbs.  A stripped '91 NA hardtop was also weighed and it came in
about 100 lbs less.

<<<
I dunno...I was begining to be impressed with the later Fieros, then GM
killed them off.

Good ol' GM.  Almost everybody I talk to says something along similar lines.
Jamie, if you haven't driven an '88 set up for autocrossing, you really
should.  I've autocrossed an earlier one, and there really is no comparison.
The '88s don't handle quite up to par with the MR2s, but they (almost) make
up for it in torque.

On the new Fiero, there are actually TWO (count 'em) mid-engined concept
cars being developed by Opel.  Both are rumored to have a similar version
possibly coming to the US.

One is a four passenger car based on the new Opel Tigra and Astra and has a
longitudinal 3.0 V6.  You can see it here:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/columns/caught/opel_coupe.asp.

The other is a two passenger roadster being developed with help from Lotus.
This is the one that's similar to the Elise.  You can see it here:
http://www.tir.com/~jaski/speedster.htm (this URL has already been posted)
and here: http://www.schwab-kolb.com/opelspe.htm.

Doug Chase
Everett, WA
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (autocrosser)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd (in hospital in Alabama, thanks Ken Stolz and George
Ryan!)
'85 Fiero GT 4-spd (future Pro Rally car)