Re: Drove an Elise

To: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Drove an Elise
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 19:19:59 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Ron and Angie <nottingham@alltel.net>

>>>I had the opportunity to drive a Lotus Elise to work this morning. What a
fun
>>>little car! 1200 lbs and 180 hp makes for a great little package. This
could be
>>>a killer autocross car. Too bad Lotus isn't importing them here.
>>
>>        As far as I know, you CAN buy one here, race prepped is the way
they
>>        come, and they are not registerable.  But, if you wanted one, you
COULD
>>        buy it, you'd just have to trailer it.......
>>

>Or wait until GM uses the chassis on the new Pontiac Fiero.  From what I
>have heard, it will be styled differently (but use the same chassis), gain
>little weight and use GM's new all alloy DOHC 4 (nothing shared with the
>Quad 4, or whatever it's called now).

That's it -- add weight and put a wheezy GM 4-banger in it.  Just so long as
they don't claim kinship with anything Lotus -- Colin Chapman will hit
redline in his grave.

>The new four is supposed to have
>variable valve timing, but will have low end torque (not like a Honda VTEC)
>and have decent horsepower (180 to 190) out of 2.0L, no turbo or
>supercharger.  Although it doesn't have HP in line with the Honda S2000, it
>will have more torque and a fatter and flatter torque curve.  It will
>achieve this with variable length runners along with variable valve timing.
>That's all I know, and all I could get out of my uncle who's an R&D
engineer
>at GM.

The last 4-cyl Fiero (which was all there was when I was looking) convinced
me to buy Honda....  I wouldn't take bets on this one changing that.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr