Alignment questions!

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alignment questions!
From: Rex Weatherford <rweatherford@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:02:46 -0400

"Mark J. Andy" wrote:

> Howdy,
> That makes a lot of sense.  I agree that I dunno to what degree it would
> affect things, but it would account for both the turn-in improvement and a
> mid-corner understeer (since the inside front tire is now turned too far).

<stuff deleted>

> Either way, that's a pretty good idea!  Wouldn't it be cool if we all had
> jobs where we could instrument our cars and test this stuff?
>
> Mark

While we are on alignments.  ;^)

I just had new tires put on (Dunlop SP8000's, tire rack has great prices on
these currently) and got an alignment done.  I had done my own alignment on
the car using a method described by someone here on the list using string and
levels.  I think I did pretty good.  It seems that my measurements were off a
little on the camber, due to an unlevel floor that I couldn't measure the
error for (oops)and had some toe (which is my question) .  My car seems a
little odd.  I wanted to get near 0 camber for some trips I will be taking,
but they couldn't!  My car would only go to -1.3.  I had it set to -1.5 for
auto-x.

Anyway here is my question.  I had -.99 degrees of total toe.  They didn't
say which way this was, in or out.  Is this toe in or out and just how much
is this in inches?  My rims are 16' BTW.

Also the same goes for the rear.  It has a total toe of -.49 degrees.  What
is this?  Rear camber is minimal at -.22 and -.26.

Thanks for the help.

--
Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ 2.3 92,000 miles
#22 GS Atlanta Region SCCA Solo II G-Stock
95 Grand Am GT 3100 V-6 (can't get my wife to let me race it)
http://www.mindspring.com/~rweatherford/rexw/rexhome.html