RE: Novice classing

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Novice classing
From: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:16:39 -0500
> Jamie Sculerati[SMTP:jamies@mrj.com] writes
>
> The value of allowing region to modify the class structure, IMO, is for
> permanent changes desired by the local competitors -- allowing SFCs in SP,
> or unlimited wheels in Prepared, for example -- rather than event-by-event
> classing of drivers based on a combination of car and skill level.
> Classing drivers rather than their cars runs the risk of having a
> disgruntled competitor who's been bumped from one class to another simply
> because they've begun to get their driving together.  Sure, they were told
> when they started -- which doesn't always make a difference.
>
> IMO, the best answer is to class 'em honestly -- if there's a local novice
> class to put them in, so much the better, but at least then you're not
> stuck with explaining why someone with headers, SFCs and a boost
> controller was in Stock last month and is now in Mod.

Good point, but I still say once the newbie shouldn't get classed 'honestly'
until they become more competitive.

First of all, if they had headers, SFC's and a boost controller I'd stick
them in SP rather then stock, and I'd explain that the boost controller
technically should put them in Mod.

Using the example from before: Newbie (Fred) shows up in a lowered Eclipse
with wheels, springs and a non-stock boost control. According to current
rules Fred would be stuck running against Barney's 400 HP tube frame EMod
super sled, so we cut Fred some slack and let him run against the other
lowered DSM's and CameroBirds in ESP. We still mention that the boost
control would put him EM unless he removes it - but he doesn't have to right
away. Fred is happy to be among similar *looking* cars but probably will
still get beat just because of the tires. When his driving improves, he'll
probably decide to get serious about competing, which means learning the
rules, and maybe buying the car or equipment required to compete at the
level he wants to.

If we had a ESP turbo class that allowed SFC's and unlimited boost controls
Fred would be just as happy, until he decides to get competitive and run a
Divisional or National event where he is forced to run with Barney in EMod.

Both ways could work. It's a judgement call, but I'd rather have the newbie
come back for the next event.

Brian Meyer
Wichita Region SCCA
'90 CRX si - CSP