Re: Why smaller pulley?

To: <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Why smaller pulley?
From: "Deanne" <deanne@surfree.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:59:56 -0500
Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply on being in the same boat on your turbo.  Seems like I
created a little bit of a controversy here by posting my supercharger pulley
email.  I understand rules are rules and I'm not trying to say there should
be some sort of exception.  I have more fun in these competitions just
trying to beat my brother's time, who runs in ASP with his 3000GT.  We are
always about half a second or so apart from each other, so it is fun.  For
now, he is my competition and I'm enjoying the experience of learning to
handle my car better.  :)

You asked about how much power/boost my car was putting out and the weight.

The .3" smaller pulley increased my PSI from about 7-8 stock to about 10-11+
psi.  When last dynoed I had 220 peak hp and 285 torque.  Others with the
same mods have come close to 300 torque.  When I weighed in at the last
competition my car, empty, weighed 3433 (without spare, jack, etc.).  My
best 1/4 mile was 14.4 at 95mph.

DG also had a very good response this morning on how there would be a pulley
size where if you went any smaller you would lose power.  This is certainly
true.  I have no intention of going to a smaller pulley.  The performance
companies working on mods for the GTP have found that going beyond 11 psi on
the Eaton M90 blower was detrimental to performance without an intercooler.
So there are clearly limits to how much extra boost you can get.  The
factory is just a little too conservative so I gave it a little extra.

Thanks to all for the good and very informative responses.

Deanne Knudson
98 Grand Prix GTP, slightly modded, in EML and having fun