Re: BSP Datsun Z questions

To: Jenaro Rodriguez <dicej@cnw.com>
Subject: Re: BSP Datsun Z questions
From: "Richard Holden" <rholden@mail.scs.k12.tn.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:39:02 -0600

>From: Jenaro Rodriguez <dicej@cnw.com>

> Richard Holden wrote:
>
>> >From: TeamZ3@aol.com
>> >To: autox@autox.team.net
>> >Subject: BSP Datsun Z questions
>> >Date: Tue, Apr 27, 1999, 12:07 PM
>> >

>> > Can anyone tell me what a reasonable expectation is for a Datsun
240/260/280Z
>> > in full BSP trim with regard to:
>> >
>> > Horsepower/torque
>> 200 bhp should be reasonable don't know about the torque, contact Rebello
>> for absolute max.  John Banks claims 180 hp at 6000 rpm at the rear wheels
>> in an AP Datsun from dyno runs which probably calculates to 230 to 240 bhp
>> and his car is very strong.
>
> 200 HP? That sounds a little conservative for a car that came with 175 HP
stock in
> a couple of models. My old '76 280Z was supposed to have 175 HP stock. At
least
> that's what it said in the engine compartment. With no restrictions on intake
and
> and exhaust I'd think more than 25 extra HP should be available. Just a
thought.

> Jay

All the after market parts claim x amount of hp gain from just bolting on
the part.  I saw a Mikuni add once for a Z car setup that said "add 50 hp".
Also have seen adds claiming 25 hp gains from this free flow exhaust system.
So it seems that you could add 75 hp to 175 and get 250  with just carbs and
exhaust, but this is one time that the total does not equal the sum of its
parts.  Performance add ons may require additional prep such as more
compression, cams and higher rpms to work efficiently and to make the full
power they claim.  I think the cars were probably over rated on HP from the
factory.  That sports car thing, you know.  They also had 160 mph on the
speedometer which many people thought meant that they could go that fast.
Some even claimed they saw 150 readings on those speedometers.  The cars in
stock trim would only muster 115 to 120.  You would need to contact Rebello
for verification, but I think I recall a magazine article quoting Rebello as
getting 220 hp max out of a "stock motor".  I think they are getting 240 hp
following the new E Production rules for SCCA road race.  I don't mean to
under rate the available power from a Z car.  I love them.  I have owned a Z
since 1974 and autocrossed a Z since 1976.  They can be made to be very fast
and to handle well.  I think people like to quote large horsepower numbers
that are just not accurate.  In a fully race prepared motor with 2.8L, 14 or
15 to 1 compression turning 8000+ rpm  you can make 300+ horsepower.  With a
stock cam, 9 to 1 compression, turning 6000 rpm you can't make much over 200
hp.  Call Rebello, they'll give you the scoop and try to sell you an engine.

Richard Holden