Solo I - Roll Bar Requirement

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Solo I - Roll Bar Requirement
From: Russ McBride <russmcb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 07:22:41 -0400
I've been following the "open vs closed" discussion here about Solo I
rules because I have a street Fiat X1/9 that I'd like to take to a Solo
I event, but only if I don't have to go to the trouble of adding a roll
bar or cage.  From what I've heard thus far (and from previous
discussions with some SCCA folks), I had convinced myself that if I ran
with my roof attached then a roll bar wasn't required.  However, I've
just gotten the 1999 rule books and now I'm confused again.  They are
unbelievably hard to follow.  Below is my current understanding as far
as roll cages are concerned:

You start with the Solo I rules in the 1999 Solo Rules book.  They say
to generally refer to the 1998 (?!) General Competition Rules (wish I
had known to ask for last year's GCR when I ordered mine.  Maybe the
references would match.  Silly me.).  The Solo Rules book overrides the
GCR in places.  Concerning roll cages, the Solo Rules say:

"(N. Section 13 (GCR) 13.2.1.o.)    Roll cages as defined by Section 18
of the GCR are required by all Formula Cars, Sports Racers, Specials,
GT-1, and open GT cars, open Production cars, and open Solo II Prepared
Category cars.

"All other vehicles, at a minimum, shall conform to the roll bar
specifications of Appendix L of those rules.  Roll cages are recommended

and, if installed, must conform to Section 18 of the GCR."

Appendix L (in the Solo Rules) doesn't address which cars need a roll
bar, just how they must be installed.

So, I don't think ANY car can compete without a roll bar or cage.
Please prove me wrong.

I know many of you will feel compelled to reply and say that I'd be
stupid to do a Solo I without a roll bar.  Let's just say that I respect

your opinion and leave it at that.

   Russ McBride (frequent SCCA Improved Touring Club Racer)