RE: The tire thing^n

To: "Josh Sirota" <jss@marimba.com>,
Subject: RE: The tire thing^n
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:53:58 -0700
> Just an anecdote -- last year in the San Francisco Region, yours truly
> pushed for a change such that street tires (treadwear over 140 or 160 or
> something) would be required for our local rookie classes.
>
> Then I found out that some of our gung-ho rookies (hi Kit!) went through
> 3 sets of expensive street tires in a single season!
>
> Josh

But, again anecdotally, I ran (and won, so I wasn't THAT slow) the SFR
Street Tire class last year on the equivalent of a single set of tires
(started and ended with a half set); mostly in an ESP Camaro.  That is
two-three times the wear I'd have gotten on race tires.

My point being that I think a certain amount of the "street tires get lousy
wear" is crossover from "gung-ho rookie drivers tend to be harder on tires
in general".

KeS