Re: 99 Integra - Was 93 DSM's

To: autox@autox.team.net, jigou@raq1.raquet.net
Subject: Re: 99 Integra - Was 93 DSM's
From: "Tim Malzahn" <tmalzahn@tnmnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:24:40 -0500
Jarrod,

I also have an Integra GS-R and have been autocrossing it for two seasons. Here
are a few tips:
- Expect LOTS of understeer - your main goal in autocrossing the Integra is
figuring out how to eliminate it.
- I recommend adjustable shocks for the car - you then need to crank the rears
all the way up and adjust the fronts to a middle setting. I have Tokico
Illuminas and I set the fronts at 3 and the rears at 5.
- If you can, get 225's for the front and 205's for the rear. This also should
help the understeer. (Can anyone else help here? Does this really help?)
- The springs on the Integra are really soft, so expect fairly good (bad?) body
lean. I had to trim off 2 inches from the front mud flaps so they would not
grind on the ground while cornering. The front tires also rub the inside of the
fenders during heavy cornering. This is with 205's on the front. I would expect
the 225's to rub even more. Here is a good picture of me demonstrating the body
lean - www.visi.com/mac/images/m698/mvc-009s.jpg
- The VTEC engine is a blast - on the street that is. Driving one in an
autocross is - well - challenging. The technique to use is to shift to first
whenever you can. Keep it up above 6000 as often as possible. This will usually
drop your times by a second or more on longer courses. Go out and practice
downshifting to first over and over...

I hope this helps. You can also check out www.vtec.net for more Integra stuff.

Tim Malzahn
97 Integra GS-R Sedan
Rogers, MN
tmalzahn@tnmnetworks.com
www.visi.com/~tnmnets

>>> Jarrod Igou <jigou@raq1.raquet.net> 04/21/99 09:12AM >>>
+snip+

Incidentally, does anyone know of a source of information anywhere NEAR as
complete as the DSM site for Acura Integras? I replaced my DSM with a 99
GSR last week, and I'm looking to start learning....but I haven't found any
central repository like this for the Integra.

Jarrod Igou
'99 Acura Integra GSR
Des Moines Valley Region