Re: SO Class???

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SO Class???
From: rikracer <rikracer@cwix.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:31:54 -0700

>Howdy,
>
>On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Kelly, Katie wrote:
>> Again, as it is now, the Ladies class is not representative of one's
speed
>> or natural driving ability. Let's open the door for some men.
>
>Wait... you were serious about this?
>
>Then I've got a suggestion.  Just have a novice class.  This "SO" and
>"Ladies" etc. stuff all boils down to giving people that are starting out
>or aren't very competitive a place to play.  A Novice class does all that
>across the board.  To keep people from cherrypicking it, setup some rules
>(like top 3 in points or whatever) to automatically advance people to
>open.
>
>Mark

This makes sense to me.  I know several regions have novice programs.  Cal
Club has for some time and the class is always well subscribed.  In our
version, you run with your regular class, but on the scoreboard and in the
results you show up in Novice.  We don't even bother to index or anything,
you can stay in as long as you want or until you trophy, which automatically
moves you to the open classes.

Don't know if there is a need for Novice at Tours or Nationals, most people
have probably run some local events before doing either.  But it might not
be a bad idea to have a novice system described in the rule book.  Or if you
area doesn't have one, just get the info from a region that does and start
one.  Seems pretty simple to me.

Rick Brown
AP 240Z