Heavy Truck Help

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Heavy Truck Help
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:18:12 -0500
No AX content, but related to a car hauling vehicle:

Can anyone help me with some questions I have regarding rear end gearing
on a heavy truck chassis?   Truck facts:

1980 International School Bus
DT466 Turbo Diesel
5 speed trans

Current gearing is somewhere around 5.7:1.  (Close anyway)  2,700 RPM's
has it maxing out at around 58 MPH.  Gotta have more speed!!!

Does anyone know about this area?  Are ring/pinion sets available for
this unit in more like 4.11:1?  I think they are available, but run from
$500 to $900 for new parts.  Ouch!  Kindly reply in private if you know
anything about this stuff or if you know of a cheap or helpful parts
source.  Scotty, your a truck guy right?  Thanks!!

end-o-question
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese