RE: PSI Questions

To: "drpepper" <drpepper@nacs.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PSI Questions
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:57:06 -0500
> I have a versapak inflator that is poor to say the least...
>
> Sears has a 9gal, 125psi portable air tank with gauge and hose for $40. So
> how much and how many times should I be able to put air in my tires?

I use a 12 volt compressor that is about 20 years old and beat up from being
tossed around.

It isn't pretty or as fast as an air bottle, but it works well enough.  I
just start it up and move it between wheels as I empty out my stuff at the
site and put the numbers on.

It is always ready and never runs out of air.  It also fits either in the
trunk or front compartment of my Fiero, my 5 gallon tank doesn't fit in
either.

The calculation of how many times you can put air in your tires from a tank
depend primarily on:
  The internal volume of the tire - could be estimated.
  The pressure in the tire and the increase wanted.

Then either use the "ideal gas law" to calculate quantities of air needed or
go from someone else's experience with appropriate adjustments based on the
factors listed above.
If you actually want to try to calculate it and do not know what the ideal
gas law is, send me a message off line.  It is actually a very easy formula.