Re: Fwd: Protest Oil Companies. Slug Utility Variations

To: Jim & Marilyn Rohn <rohns@doitnow.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Protest Oil Companies. Slug Utility Variations
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 08:37:44 -0500
Jim & Marilyn Rohn wrote:

> > It
> >just wasteful. I have no problem with using said vehicles for hauling/towing
> >purposes, as they were designed for this.  But commuting in one?  That's a
> >simple waste of resources.
>
> 1000% agree

Well, I might agree -- if you count "hauling people" as "hauling".
We often need to haul 7 or 8 people somewhere.  What's more wasteful:
7 people in an Expedition getting 13mpg or 2 people in a 911 getting
17mpg and 5 people in a M3 getting 19mpg?  (The two cars together
get a combined 8mpg and produce twice the emissions.)

OTOH, we often _do_ take the two sportscars in situations like that
because its a lot more _fun_, but it would be less _wasteful_ in a
purely economic/enviro sense to take the behemoth.

Now if someone would convert a 5-passenger sedan into a wagon/SUV that
would comfortably carry 7 or 8, then I'd think you'd have a good argument
for the elimination of the monster truck-based 4x4's from most city scapes.
(Although people like me who go to Colorado 10 weeks a year may still need
one.)

Brian

> I'd rather -drive- a car instead of a -riding- in a truck

Agreed.
I'd rather -drive- a good sportscar than slosh around in a cushy wannabe.
(My behemoth SUV handles better than some of the pathetic GM sedans I've
 driven recently.  Sheesh.)