Re: Spins & Blame

To: Jeff Winchell <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Subject: Re: Spins & Blame
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 09:09:16 -0800
Jeff Winchell wrote:

> If you take the very low percentage of the flip multiplied by the very
> low percentage of it being at the wrong time and place, you have such
> low odds that it's not worth considering, IMO.

IF statistics were available - e.g., mishaps per vehicle mile or per
vehicle hour - for Solo II incidents, it might be possible to make a
definitive statement regarding incident probability and the
negligibility thereof. Since those statistics are not available,
judgements such as the above are pure speculation.

> Quite a few would be 3 or 4? What number? Then compare that to
> odds of this happening in general driving on the streets.

The comparison, while interesting, is beside the point. We all agree
that no activity is risk-free, but what is really not a subject of
debate - it's well-defined in the rules - is that Solo II event
organizers carry the responsibility for putting on a safe event.

I can name more than one situation in which sites were lost because of
accidents at Solo II events. Given that we are not being deluged by site
owners begging us to help wear out their pavement, it is only in
everyone's best interest to help keep the probabilites of incident as
low as possible.

I can say from experience that statistics are meaningful until you
become one.

Jay Mitchell