Re: wheel stud fatigue

To: SlyFoxRc@aol.com, AUTOX@autox.team.net, eric10mm@qni.com
Subject: Re: wheel stud fatigue
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:47:05 -0600
Sly Fox
Sure, wheel studs lasting forever might have been a slight exageration.
However, my stock class RX7 is in its 7th year of autocrossing where I change
the wheels twice at every event (about 100 events) including  6 Nationals and
80K of street miles and don't have any noticable wear on my studs or nuts. I
put a small amount of anti-sieze on the studs probably once a year and torque
them to 65 or 70 foot-lbs instead of the factory spec of 76 ft-lbs. I cannot
acount for cars with smaller studs and higher torques , but I bet I can go
another 6 or 7 years w/o replacing the studs. To me that is basically " forever"
Bill Schmidt CS RX7 KC Region

In a message dated 3/24/99 7:09:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, jschmidt@kumc.edu