Prepared Question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Prepared Question
From: Rich Urschel <osp13@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:47:49 -0500
I find myself mysteriously unable to determine if head porting is
allowed in the Prepared Category section of the 1999 Solo Rules.

We have the standard disclaimer:
15.1 Authorized Modifications
     A. It is not permitted to make any changes, alterations, or
        modifications to any component produced by the manufacturer,
        unless specifically authorized by these rules.
Then we have the blanket counter statement for engine parts:
15.10 Engine and Drive Train
     A. Component Modification
        1.  Original and alternate components of the engine may be
            ligtened, balanced, and modified by any mechanical or
            chemical means, provided that it is always possible to
            identify required components as original.
Then we have a section on the head itself:
15.10.H Cylinder Head
        1. The original or a specified alternate cylinder head shall be
           used. Any valve guides and valve seats may be used.
        2. Compression ration may be altered by machining, using any
           head gasket(s) or elimination of head gasket(s).

So is the cylinder head a component under 15.10.A.1?

Oh, I should mention that this is a Lotus Twin Cam which according
to Howard, with the SEB's blessing, has no intake manifold but
rather a method for fixing the carburetors directly to the head.
So I know I have a head, but can I port the d**n thing and run it
in AP?

And, curiously, how about this? JAE is taking Stromberg big-valve
heads, cutting the (dare I say it?) intake manifold off of them,
milling the side of the head, and bolting a plate with intake
manifold and Webers to it. Instant big-valve Weber never sold in
the US. Legal for AP?

Thanks.
Rich (no longer two-wheeling) Urschel