Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: richj50@bit-net.com
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: Perry Kincy <kincy@ccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:38:10 -0800
richj50@bit-net.com wrote:

> Why should removing the cat be legal in SP for any car, turbo or normally
> aspirated? This rule has always bothered me because street-prepared cars
> are "ostensibly" street cars, and the SCCA rules encourage a modification
> that is against federal law and that also needlessly hurts the
> environment.  While there are lots of trailered SP cars that never get
> street driven, I would venture to say that MOST SP cars at regional events
> around the country are daily drivers.  Why have a rule that encourages
> people to make their cars street-illegal and hazards to clean air in
> their role as daily drivers? I'd propose that rather than ban
> turbo cars from removing their cats, that ALL SP cars be required to have
> functional cats (stock or aftermarket).

Rich, the last time this came up it was considered but rejected.  However at
the time I recall that a number of prominent cars in SP were not street
driven.  I don't know that is the case now.  The cat may be a big thing in CSP
and DSP with the smaller engined cars.  It is less a hindrance with the ASP,
BSP and ESP cars (at least NA) since they don't lack for HP and most of the
modern cats are very free flowing as you know.
--
Perry Kincy (kincy@kincy.com)