RE: New car classifications (still long)

To: "'Gemery@aol.com'" <Gemery@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: New car classifications (still long)
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:05:42 -0600
I promise, this is the last I have to say on the subject.  This is interesting
discussion, but since we all know SCCA isn't going to make any radical changes
there isn't much of a point.  I just wanted everyone to be aware that there are
other ways of doing things, and that "that's the way we've always done it"
shouldn't be the criteria to
>>In a broad view, how is this different from a bucket system?  <<

Here goes... Stock is 0-2 points, Prepared is 3-7, Modified is 8-15.  Let's say
Joe Average with a Mustang GT (again just an example) decides to put subframe
connectors in his otherwise showroom stock car.  In SCCA competition he is now
playing with the big dogs in CP (at least that was my perception as a novice).
In MC competition he incurs 1 point and stays in Stock.  BTW, I also think it's
a little easier for a novice to understand MC.  Classes from fastest to slowest
are X, A ~ F.  My Cobra's progession would be A-Stock, A-Prepared, A-Modified
as opposed to the SCCA where it might well go FS, EPS, CP... kind of confusing.

Other points for common mods: "R" tires = 3; Rim width (per inch increase) = 1;
Rim diameter (per inch) = 2; Sway bar addition or revision (front or rear) = 1;
spring rate change = 2; Bushing replacement = 2; Removal or tampering with
emission control device (per device) = 1; Engine displacement (per 3% increase)
= 1; Turbo or supercharge addition = 4; Carb or FI change on non-stock manifold
= 3; Exhaust manifold change = 1.

I did not include the full list, and I don't want to start a discussion on
whether or not we all agree on the relative benefits matching the points
penalties.  I just wanted to give a feel for what kind of mods might put a car
in a particular category.  I'm not saying overdogs and underdogs won't exist.
This a motorsport and I that's part of the territory, especially at national
level.

<<How do you decide what is the best way to spend your points?  Higger tires?
Different front bar? Different rear bar?  Huge wheels?  Medium tires AND a bar?
 And so on.  The Nationally competitive folks WILL do the testing and testing
costs money.>>

How does this differ from the current SCCA system?  At national level people
will either do the testing or emulate someone who is doing well, same as now.
If you were to build a nationally competitive car according to current ESP
rules where would you spend your money? Bigger tires? Different front bar?
Different rear bar?  Huge wheels?  Medium tires AND a bar?  The questions at
that level remain the same.

<<No, Prepared/Modified cars are not necessarily more spendy to run than a
modified street car.  My budget for tow vehicle, trailer, & EP
car is under $10k (if I ever finish building it!)...>>

When you consider that my cars are driven daily it makes a $10K for an
essentially race only car seem pretty expensive.

The weather is getting nicer, the days are getting longer and soon I'll be
driving instead of writing :-)

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra, Mystic #1345/2000 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (mostly modified)
'59 Triumph Model 10 Sedan (mostly in boxes)