Re: Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?

To: "H. Rodney Spear" <hrspear@coastalnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:15:54 -0800 (PST)
Rodney,

It's not as complicated as all that.  Just follow the requirements in
your owner's manual, and change it regularly.  All other things being
equal, lighter weight oils have lower frictional losses, but may
provide less lubrication at high temperatures (synthetics excepted).

With the higher oil temps a turbo motor sees, synthetic can offer an
extra margin of safety.  That's because it has a higher "flash point"
(temperature at which the oil bursts into flame in open air), so it
can withstand higher temps than dino juice before turning into coal
slurry.  Synthetics generally have higher film strength as well
(that's the amount of pressure a thin film of oil between metal plates
can stand before shearing).  That will matter when, as Mike Lowe puts
it, you come off a corner one gear too high and decide to test your
engine bearings by mashing the throttle anyway.

There are proven benefits to synthetic *oil*, but I have yet to see
data for synthetic *filters*, so I'm sticking with the basic paper
filters.  Unlike the case with oil, the OEM filter from some companies
like Ford and Mazda is much better quality than the aftermarket stuff.
 Aftermarket, I would happily use NAPA Gold or Wix, and stay the
_hell_ away from Fram.

hth,
Craig Blome
TSSCC, TAMSCC, RTRT, and TLS#91 (I always thought it was obnoxious
listing all your titles... :)