Re: Uneven wear and rotation...

To: "Brian M Kennedy" <kennedy@i2.com>, "AutoX" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Uneven wear and rotation...
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:37:19 -0600
>If you've severely abused a set of tires by autox'ing on them
>such that you've nearly balded the outside of the fronts,
>is it wise to flip the tires such that the worn down edges are
>inside?  That will give me longer tire life, but will it greatly
>reduce traction since it'll be even less likely that the inside
>tread will be on the pavement?  Or will the tire deform compensating
>for the angled tread?  (I have an autox on Sunday and McKamey
>school in a couple weeks.)
>
>Should I flip the tires?

Depends on the tires.  If they are highly asymmetric tires like a BFG R1,
don't do it.  If they are essentially symmetric (even if the tread pattern
isn't) tires like a Yoko A008RS, go ahead.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/