Re: Braking technique

To: nersolo@ner.org, autox@f-body.org
Subject: Re: Braking technique
From: Brian Porter <porterb@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 14:30:57 -0500
I'd say it'd depend on the ABS system and it's performance.

For a very bad example, my Chev. Tahoe does a very poor job braking on any
surface (it's a tug). Once ABS decides to get involved, it's 10x worse.
I've developed a (bad?) habit of braking just before the ABS engagement
point and/or pulsing the pedal myself to disengage it and revert back to
something resembling stopping power.  In anycase, once I cross the
threshold where ABS engages, it feels like someone has cut all my brake
hoses.. ABS activation introduces a signifigant reduction in braking force.
(I've been meaning to yank the ABS fuse. <g>)

My *guess* is that the truck's ABS system is simply too slow (cheap?) and
is simply not doesn't pulse fast enough to keep braking at the limit of
adhesion. I'm also not sure if it's a 3-channel or 4-channel system,
probably a 3.. The only other ABS system I've sampled often (and found that
worked well) was on a '88 Supra Turbo.

-Brian
'95 Miata R

At 12:14 PM 3/1/99 -0500, richj50@bit-net.com wrote:
>Assuming that you are driving an ABS equipped car on course in a straight
>line at 50mph or so approaching a very tight hairpin, what is the best
>braking technique to slow the car down before entering the corner: (1) Hit
>the brake pedal as hard as you can thereby engaging the ABS and causing
>your tires to emit little puffs of smoke as they skid 1 foot at a time
>between ABS pulses, or (2) Brake only as hard as you think you can without
>locking up the wheels/engaging the ABS?  I am not talking about braking in
>a corner. I'm just wondering whether you lose time by doing #1 by
>suffering the disadvantage of sliding friction over static friction, not
>to mention maybe overheating/flatspotting your tires.  Which is the
>fastest way to get the car slowed down in a straight line?
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rich Johnston
>95 Z28 ESP