Re: Chevy Cavalier

Subject: Re: Chevy Cavalier
From: "D. Barry Stubbs" <z24man@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 00:44:20 -0500
> I have recently picked up an "85" Cavalier my sister was getting rid of.
> I would like to heare
> from any one auto crossing one. Is there any after market  proformance
> parts produced
> for the Cavalier? There seems to be so many of them on the road you'd
> think some one
> would be playing around with them. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tom Brewsaugh

I guess I'm fairly qualified to answer this question - I've got an 88
Cav Z24.  Your best bet for aftermarket suspension products will
probably be a good shock/strut combo and maybe some Eibach or similar
springs.  No matter what you do, the car is going to have understeer
unless you either put race tires only on the front (not recommended), or
do some extensive modifications to the suspension beyond just the struts
and springs, which isn't practical and difficult to find.  The Beretta,
Corsica, and the new Cavalier and Sunfire models all use the same
suspension setup at the wheels, so fell free to peruse the parts bin for
all these models.

As for engine performance:  I assume that you mean you've got a 1985
model, which tells me that you've got the 90hp 2.0l 4cyl.  While being
an economical and dependable powerplant, its not something that can be
hopped-up real well without internal modifications.  You're best bet
would be the tried-and-true K&N and 1/4"-over cat-back exhaust.

Anything else?

D. Barry Stubbs                                    http://surf.to/z24man
(912) 745-9429                                     AOL IM: thez24man
z24man@earthlink.net                               ICQ #5409648
#101GS Atlanta Region SoloII                       88 2.8 5Spd White Z24